Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

Here it is folks... Election Day! Whether or not you are voting for McCain or Obama, yes/no on 8, I strongly encourage and hope that all of you voted. For awhile it never really hit me how important this whole thing was. Yea, it was the election. Its for change. Its history. Etc. Having plenty of productive debates with my parents on several issues concerning the election has definitely influenced me to vote. Also the push and encouragement from my peers have assisted in that decision as well. And because of all that, I woke up @ 7am and went to the polling place to vote thinking there was going to be a long ass line. Nope, not even. I walked in and out of there within 20 minutes. Gangstaaaa....



I was stopped at a stop light earlier this week and saw people on the corners holding up NO on 8 signs, as well as YES on 8 signs. These weren't just any people. High school kids. Youngins who don't even have the privilege to vote yet. How much these teenagers cared about this proposition. How much they wanted their voice to be heard, despite not even being 18. That in itself was a lot of motivation to vote. The right, privilege, opportunity, RESPONSIBILITY to vote was made very clear to me. I have so many friends who have expressed their own opinions on certain issues pertaining to this election. THANK YOU! It gets quite confusing when trying to do my own research on everything. Being able to talk, listen, or read others' stand on these issues is very complementing to my own ideas and beliefs. I've found myself reading a lot about the election and everything else that ties into it. CNN.com, youtube.com, facebook.com, newspapers, etc. And through my research, i've found every interesting things. Facts about both candidates that I found disliking, reasoning about certain issues told to me that I probably would have never thought of, etc. I rediscovered how extremely ignorant, naive, and narrow minded people are at times. Some lady at a McCain rally actually stood up, with a mic in hand, and said "I've read about him (Obama). and he is...an Arab." I was happy to see that McCain stood up for Obama and reputed everything that lady said. "No ma'am, no ma'am.. He's a decent family man citizen that I just so happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues. He is not." Its disheartening to think and know that there are people who do believe in all that bullshit that's not true. Being able to surround myself with great people the past 5 years have somewhat blanketed the fact that all of this still does exist, and people are so strongly misguided into these ignorant beliefs. Yea, you would be able to see it around campus and what not, but now that I am away from Irvine and those close to me, its so apparent and normal to see that there are sooooo many people who think otherwise. Where I would be able to stray away from those who were so negative, I am faced with them everyday now that I am back home. It's a challenge. A challenge that interests me and keeps me on my toes. I'm not really sure where i'm going with this, but it's whats on my mind...



Go VOTE. If you have, Thank you! If you haven't, well... im sure you have a good reason.

Got this from Omar's facebook...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq8Uc5BFogE

Peace easy...

3 comments:

SuJ said...

thank you. you've articulated what it means to vote to the max. in our own words, Gangstaaaa....

!Empower! said...

hahah Wassup 2008, we played that all day this weekend!!!! Change...now it officially is WASSUP!!!!!!

ncheung6 said...

wow. its really refreshing your blogs. we don't get to see each other nowadays, but when i read your blogs, i feel like you are sitting down next to me, smoking up a bowl of hookah and ur telling me how you feel. im glad that you have this blog so that i can keep up with your life as well as your thoughts!!

miss you jhust!
can't wait for a visit.

nick